Monday, November 16, 2009

Very agressive prostate cancer?

My brother just got diagnosed with a very agressive prostate cancer. I was not at the appt. my mother was so I have limited info. It is T3 maybe T4, they are starting him on hormone therapy than chemo and Friday we talk to someone about getting him in a clinical trial. My mother said the docters act optimistic I think that they will regardless even if you are terminal. I believe my brother is on his way out and this is salvage therapy. They don't put people in clinical trials if there is another potential way to cure you. Anyone who could provide me with some personal experience or medical professional with some insight would be appreciated.


Thanks

Very agressive prostate cancer?
The only knowledge I have is that if the cancer is contained


completely in the prostate the prognosis is good.This was


the circumstance when I had mine removed 3 yrs ago. So


far so good, my PSA readings have been zilch. My daughter


was in a clinical trial with her lung cancer and had good


results. Clinic trial means something they think will work


but hasn't been tested enough to put on the market. These


products have a pretty decent batting average from what


I've read.
Reply:I had prostate cancer and so did a friend of mine. I don't know your PSA scores. Mine was 7.4 (not bad). My friends was over 17.


I opted for radiation therapy.


My friends was so far advanced they had to use radiation and Theraseed.


I don't think clinical trials means there is not much hope.


His biggest concern is whether or not is has spread to his lymph nodes. That is a major concern.


If given an option between radiation and Theraseed the cure rate is about equal. Somewhere near 97%.


Another option is prostate removal, if necessary. That seems pretty radical though.


A lot depends on the location of the cancer. If it is on the outside of the protate it is likely to spread much faster..


With radiation he should suffer no ill effects other than temporary loss of pubic hair (not a problem).


If they do breast radiation (to provent breast enlargement) he may experience some soreness similar to burning (whjch it is). Other than that. . .


Theraseed causes swelling, frequent, urgent, urination. But is quite effective and requires only one office visit whereas radiation requires going in 5 days a week for about 6 weeks.


Good luck.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive