Saturday, May 15, 2010

Side Effects of a Vasectomy- Prostate Cancer , Dementia...?

Does anyone know the negative side effects of a vasectomy? I have heard that there connections to Prostate Cancer and also links to eventual dementia.

Side Effects of a Vasectomy- Prostate Cancer , Dementia...?
I got clipped about 8 years ago and have had no adverse side effects. Only good result – NO MORE RUBBERS!
Reply:I had a vasectomy 20 years ago. I know a lot of men that have. Not a single one of them have prostate cancer, or anything that can be attributed to having a vasectomy.





One in six men, in the USA, will get prostate cancer. The statistic is not any higher for men with vasectomies. Also prostate cancer will take 20 years after it is detectable to kill you. I don’t think it is much of a cause for alarm.





Vasectomies get accused of everything from smelly feet, to hair loss. I have even read claims that if a man has a vasectomy his wife is more susceptible to post-partum depression, hair loss, and early metaphase. Ok, folks lets get real.





Back in 1989, when I got my vasectomy, I lived in the “bible belt”. Many religious groups protested men getting vasectomies. I was 21, at the time. I was told that I would loose all my hair, become impotent, and look like I am 65, before I am 35.





Too bad, for them, none of that happened. I never had children. I am 41, and I often get mistaken for being in my late 20’s. I know several other men, in our “Childfree” group that had vasectomies in their early 20’s. All of us could be mistaken for being 10 years younger than we are.





So what is it? Do only young looking men decide not to have children? Do only young looking men decide to get vasectomies after deciding they had enough children? I think not.





I would also like to point out that none of the members of our “Childfree” group have dementia. Most of us are in our 50's.





I don’t, have dementia, and it happens to run in my family.





Now I am wonder who is the latest promoter of such false rumors about vasectomies. Is it the Catholic Church, or LDS, this time.


1 comment:

  1. after we had three children I got a vasectomy so my wife would not have to do more intrusive tube tying. I had mine in 1981 and am now 61 with no ill affects as yet.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive